Thursday, November 09, 2006

Tony Abbott's Greatest Insight + Psychotic Buggery

You know what? If Tony wants to admit that he is 'a cruel, callow, callous, heartless bastard', who am I to argue with him?

He makes such a compelling case.

And speaking of cockroaches: Does anybody else find those Baygon 'Power is Yours' ads a little...bloodthirsty? I mean look, I hate germ-carrying bugs as much as the next girl - and lord knows, they reign supreme in inner-city Sydney - but that ad with the mum and little girl conspiring to hunt down one small roach, with that annoying, overblown 'power is YOURS!' song in the background, seems a little disproportionate.

Not content with this, however, Baygon has now released a new Weapon of Mass Bug Destruction (WMBD), one whereby a fly lands on a sticky pad thing, sucks up some poison, then flies off and dies somewhere else.

Well, firstly, I don't want to run the risk of a pre-poisoned dead fly randomly dropping into my coffee at breakfast time. Secondly, since when did bug-killing evolve into such a complex battle of strategic warfare? I want bugs to die, but not because they slaughtered my family in front of my infant eyes or because of their extreme, monotheistic fascist ideology. They're just yucky.

Remember when people used to get by with a fly swatter? Or at least, those quite cute Baygon ads a few years ago where a chick working in a perfumery sprayed fly spray, another snooty chick walked by, sniffed, said 'mmmm, l'eau de toilette', to which first chick replied, 'no, low allergenic!" And then the voiceover said, 'From the house of "Bay-shon"'. Fun.

Ads with voiceover talking about how 'a killer lies waiting'? Not so fun. More...Psychotic.

4 Comments:

At 9/11/06 11:21 pm, Blogger nash said...

Uh oh, I s'pose now's not a good time to confess my crush on Mista Rabbit. I could spray him for you...

 
At 10/11/06 5:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam. Tony Abbott, do you know if he can be a bit of ruff! also!

 
At 11/11/06 9:11 pm, Blogger JahTeh said...

Don't worry QP, two weeks of lean cuisine will have you hallucinating so badly you'll think the 'roaches are chocolates with legs.

 
At 12/11/06 5:11 pm, Blogger Claudia said...

I can't be the only one who thought Louie the fly was meant to be an insect Mafioso...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home