Friday, September 23, 2005

Dag Penguin

I have this feeling in me waters that I may be a closet dag when it comes to music.

1. I don't yet own an iPod.

2. Those crazy kids at Triple J are now just way too cool for school for me. (I much preferred the glory days of Helen Razer and Mikey Robins to Adam and Wil "goddamn, if only we were actually anywhere near as funny as we think we are!" Spencer and Anderson.)

3. My radio on more than one occasion has switched on with the ignition to "Sydney's smooth variety, Mix 106.5" (or "SadFM, easy listening for the over 30s", as Bridget Jones called it. And I'm not even over 30! *sob*).

4. The background music for this week's shagging session:

a/ was not the latest QAF soundtrack;

b/ was not random insane German industrial trance;

c/ was not Scissor Sisters;

but rather, the best of Carole King.

And now, the next two CDs at the top of my to-buy list (buying CDs is probably indicative of how much of a dag I am) are James Blunt and Daniel Powter.

This may partly be due to the fact that James looks like this:


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

and Daniel looks like this:

dpowter1.jpg

And maybe I'm just a sucker for boys who are reminiscent in sound and musical sensitivity of Elton John (James sounds not unlike Rod Stewart, even). And have guns like those. Bow-wow.

I think there're also positive association issues. The theme song for my Europe trip ended up being "Speed of Sound" by Coldplay. I heard that everywhere. But "High" was in high circulation too, especially as it was used in Italian Vodafone ads where Megan Gale spins her finger around and says in an appallingly ocker accent: "Tutto intorno a te!" This was about the only Italian phrase I can remember from my time there. And for some reason I ended up seeing the film clip for "Bad Day" with that chick from "The OC" lots.

Of course, it could also just be that I'm a dag.

5 Comments:

At 23/9/05 2:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You a dag Sam? Never!

 
At 23/9/05 4:01 pm, Blogger Sam said...

No fishing happening here JT. There's far worse things I could be in life than a dag, after all. I could vote for John Howard, for instance.

Come to Sydney regardless. No slapping required unless you're in my bedroom...And have magically transformed into a man.

:-)

 
At 23/9/05 5:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Disclosure of my secret identity would have you in therapy until Labor was re-elected. JT

 
At 23/9/05 5:47 pm, Blogger Sam said...

You should post ABOUT the shagging session. Inquiring minds want to know who you're doing!

 
At 23/9/05 8:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell us about the shagging session Sam, Anita Baker is the best for shagging music !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home