Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Kyles


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Little Charlene Ramsay Robinson, hasn't she grown.

Now the tiny garage mechanic that could has breast cancer, which is a shit no matter whether you think she's adorable (like I do) or "talentless" (my flatmate, who is allegedly a self-respecting gay man but now I have doubts).

As saddened as I am by the news (I had tickets for Friday's show to coincide with my birthday, although I don't mean to imply this is the *only* reason why I'm saddened), I found the stastistic eye-opening that yesterday 30 other women were also diagnosed with breast cancer. And yes, while they didn't make the front page of every newspaper, let's not resent Kylie because she did. If a high-profile celebrity contracting cancer and having their bad news splashed across the tabloids does nothing else than inspire one woman to get her breasts checked, then it's all worth it.

There's a definite trend here though, isn't there? First Olivia Newton-John, then Belinda Emmett, then Delta Goodrem, then Kyles. Is this a warning to all blonde Australian pop/soapie stars? If so, Bec Cartwright better watch out, although considering the public sympathy and surge in profile having cancer can generate, Bec might yet move herself, Spewwie and Spewwie Jnr into an exposed house under some big-arse power lines.

I hope Kylie beats this, I think she will, and I also really hope she doesn't reschedule the tour for June/July when I'm abroad (utterly selfish of me I know but here we are). Anybody who was once Charlene in Neighbours nearly 20 years ago and who has the career and mass appeal she's since maintained commands respect. Kylie is, however, the constant reminder of my decaying youthfulness. I actually remember watching The Wedding as clearly as if it were last week. The soulful tones of Angry Anderson, the bigness of Anne Charleston (mum Madge)'s hair, the fact that you could switch over to another channel and see her dancing the Locomotion...When did I miss this now being 17 years ago?

Kylie's going to be 37 this year. This means she'll be 40 in three years time. 40!! Charlene!!!! I hope she does eventually return to Ramsay Street to visit step-dad Harold or brother-in-law Paul, bringing with her the little Robinson rugrats whom I like to believe would be named Tan-yah, Joy-aydun and Scottlene. Noice.

Go Kyles.

8 Comments:

At 18/5/05 11:08 pm, Blogger Jhuny said...

June/July? Aren't you being a little optimistic? I don't want to see Kylie again until she's good and ready.

Meanwhile, I read in one of the papers (I can't remember which) that one of Kylie's noteworthy achievements is starring in a movie with Pauly Shore. To come away from that experience and still be able to have hits is pretty amazing...

 
At 19/5/05 12:17 am, Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

travel in peace little penguin.
For kyles there will be months of radiotherapy which is exhausting, then a course of tamoxifen which makes the patient fat.
there will be no tour in July or August or September.
I just hope the meeja leave her alone.

 
At 19/5/05 12:30 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

i too was going to see her tomorrow night so disappointed not to see this much-talked-about show. nevertheless, that is the least of concern here. i wonder if she'll save her return until next year and change it somewhat?

 
At 20/5/05 1:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam I know you were joking, but I don't think it was even remotely funny to suggest that Bec and Leighton would move their family under some " big-arse power lines" to garner sympathy from the cancer they might contract. Pretty f*cking sick mind you have...

 
At 20/5/05 2:02 pm, Blogger Sam said...

Maddy: A lot of my writing seems to upset/offend you but I'm not about to apologise for my beliefs or sense of humour as that's part of who I am and therefore what I write on QP.

 
At 20/5/05 5:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish Kylie well and a full recovery, hope the media and the public can extend the same response to the 11,000 women, who each year are diagnosed with breast cancer.The positive of the exstensive media coverage, draws attention to the need for women to get a regular check up. So gals go and do it.

 
At 20/5/05 7:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah.. you're right. You don't have to apologise for your sense of ewe-mour, it's actually your writing which offends my sense of logic and reason. I don't agree with most (and I mean most) of what Dreadnought writes either but at least he writes with a clarity and thoughtfulness that seems lacking here. I'm not here to knock you - good on you for giving it a go. And good on you for getting a column in SX - it would be great to see a 'rightie' or even a 'centrist' column in that there same to give a bit more of the balance you often talk about... I guess you could say i 'used to be' a leftie, but to be honest, after reading your blog it only emphasises to me why that label no longer fits. On ya!

 
At 22/5/05 12:27 pm, Blogger Sam said...

I don't know which part of Dreadnought's writing you find more "balanced" maddy - his endless sycophantic praise of neo-conservatism and the Catholic Church or his endless condemnation of and scorn for homosexuals and homosexual activists. However, if you find my writing so lacking in clarity and thoughtfulness, you are of course free to not come here and read anymore. Cheers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home