Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Black card trumps gay card?

Homophobe Isaiah Washington plays the black card in response to his sacking from Grey's Anatomy. Speaking of his altercation with Patrick Dempsey in which he referred to TR Knight as a 'faggot', Washington wails: "It was a fight between two men that shouldn't have happened ... Someone heard the booming voice of a black man and got really scared and that was the beginning of the end for me. I see that now, but I didn't then."

Actually, no - somebody heard the booming voice of a homophobic fuckwit. Homophobia can be colour blind, just as racism knows all gender and sexual identities.

Further:
It didn't help me on the set that I was a black man who wasn't a mush-mouth Negro walking around with his head in his hands all the time. I didn't speak like I'd just left the plantation and that can be a problem for people sometime. I had a person in human resources tell me after this thing played out that 'some people' were afraid of me around the studio. I asked her why, because I'm a 6-foot-1, black man with dark skin and who doesn't go around saying? Yessah, massa sir' and? No sir, massa' to everyone? It's nuts when your presence alone can just scare people, and that made me a prime candidate to take the heat in a dysfunctional family.

My mistake was thinking black people get second chances.

No - your mistake was being a homophobic tool in an industry where, actually, a lot of 'faggots' work. Being a homophobic actor is about as sensible as being a homophobic hairdresser - or a lesbophobic tennis player (although, that seemed to work for Margaret Court...)

Very little shits me more than members of oppressed or marginalised groups using their particular card to defend their own oppressive or marginalising behaviour. And in Washington's case, it makes him look even more of a drop-kick than he already is - or is he genuinely claiming GA's creator and executive producer Shonda Rimes is in on the Conspiracy Against the Black Man? Hmm. He may want to take a closer look at Ms Rimes before he gets too carried away with that particular theory.

Washington then goes on to play the class card, defending his homophobia in the context of his upbringing in the South - Texas, no less! - where there was "a lack of awareness of cultural sensitivities". No shit! I would've hoped a black man growing up in Texas would be the one person who fully appreciated the damage that ignorance and prejudice causes.

Something tells me Washington would be the first to cry racism if an argument had been reported on the GA set in which Dempsey, for example, called him 'buoy-ah' (think of it being said by Foghorn Leghorn) in front of the cast and crew. But he expects to get away with calling his castmates faggots, and if he's punished it's a racist conspiracy?

Piss off.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 3/7/07 9:26 pm, Blogger Peter Pan said...

Well said.
If only equality really was genuine about equality ... in my experience, in most cases, it isn't.

 
At 3/7/07 9:57 pm, Blogger Sam said...

I've been following this story relatively closely (what with having to write up what seems like a bajillion news stories about it), and I have to conclude that Isaiah just doesn't get it. He truly doesn't seem to understand why he got in trouble for calling someone a "faggot", or if he DOES get it, he's trying to do some serious buck-passing here.

No way could TR Knight credibly blame homophobia if he'd been fired had he called Isaiah a nigger. That Isaiah is calling the race card reveals what a massive jerk he is.

 
At 4/7/07 12:53 pm, Blogger Dawei said...

You know what also bugs me about him? His name. I mean, "Isiah"? Lamest. Name. Ever. Its the sort of name that kind of dictates what a complete asshole he would be. Perhaps he had no choice in the matter.

 
At 4/7/07 6:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What annoys me about many "Hetro" black men? They have this antagonistic attitude with and to their sexuality!

Take show business, without poufters,it aint show business.

So why are "big butch hetro" black men" in show business!

Anyone explain?

 
At 5/7/07 9:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He still just doesn't get it - in response to Kings question about him saying a "bad word" he said "I said lots of bad words..." He doesn't realise calling someone a fgt is any different to using any other swear word!

"..it meant, to me, someone who is being weak," Again, he doesn't get that this is ~exactly why people are pissed off at him~!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home