Monday, May 14, 2007

Taggled

Hrm. It would be appear I've been tagged. Which is kinda cool, as I couldn't really think of any shit to blog about today.

OK, 8 random things:

  1. When I was about 21 I once accidentally ran my Mazda into the back of a parked car, while slowly cruising the dark and narrow back streets of Mile End (Adelaide suburb) trying to find the numbers on a house at which I was to attend a party. Naturally, being a model citizen, I kept driving on without leaving a note and never told anybody about it...Erm, until now. Ooops.
  2. Around the same era I was an active member of the Australian Democrats, and also successfully ran for the position of Male Sexuality Officer at Adelaide University on a Unity (Labor Right) ticket. It's possible I'm actually a lot more right-wing than I think I am.
  3. I cannot for the life of me roll my tongue. This means I do a really average Scottish accent.
  4. I have occasional relapses of a condition known as pericarditis. The first time I had pericarditis I was 16, and was rushed by ambulance to a hospital in such excrutiating agony that I had to be morpheined up to high heaven (literally). The hospital told my parents and me that this condition is commonly associated with regular heroin usage. And having just come out to them a couple of weeks before, I guess it wasn't such a long stretch at the time for my folks to fear I was shooting up as well, so they asked me if I was. Nowadays, the condition is cured with a couple of Aspro Clears whenever I start to feel the heavy pressure in my chest.
  5. I like to refer sentimentally to 2005 as my 'Homewrecker Whore Year', in which I managed to sleep with six guys' boyfriends. Of those couples, three were open relationships, and three...umm...weren't.
  6. There are certain songs - by Mahler, Rachmaninov and Cold Play, among others - that will automatically and involuntarily bring goose bumps and tears to my eyes, no matter how many times I listen to them. Ditto, two scenes from ET: When Elliott's bike launches into space, and when Gertie gives ET the geranium. Typing about those scenes is making me water as we speak.
  7. There is a very select, exclusive list of women who could momentarily turn me straight for a few hours of debauched heterosexual perversion. The list includes, among others, Beyonce Knowles, Vanessa Williams, Natalie Bassingthwaighte, Michelle Yeoh, Emma Caulfield and Helen Mirren.
  8. McElhone Steps, the landmark steps from Victoria Street Potts Point down to Woolloomooloo over which my partner's apartment looks, are named after my ancestor, my great-great grandfather (I think) John McElhone. I think that has a nice circle of life vibe about it.

Hard part now, tagging bloggers who don't take themselves Oh So Very Seriously that they cannot do something as low-brow as a meme. That counts Dave out.

Hrm, OK then. Sam, comicstriphero, Byron, Claudia, Brownie, JahTeh and nash.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 14/5/07 4:23 pm, Blogger Dawei said...

Hummph! I don't know why you are so rude to me all the time! And I only don't do memes because they just seem way too self-indulgent. I don't want to sound completely egocentric. Hummph.

And also maybe because I've never been tagged before, okay?!

 
At 14/5/07 4:35 pm, Blogger Sam said...

"I don't know why you are so rude to me all the time!"

Because secretly I have a big crush on you. Der.

Would you like to be tagged?

 
At 14/5/07 5:33 pm, Blogger Dawei said...

I knew it must be something like that. I'm quite used to people having a crush on me, but expressing it in an aggressive manner. It hurts having such an infectious personality sometimes.

But maybe I would like to be tagged at some stage. Although I'm not sure if I could come up with eight interesting tidbits about myself.

 
At 14/5/07 5:35 pm, Blogger JahTeh said...

What eight random things wouldn't we already know about Dawei after reading his blog?

Thank you Whore of 2005 for the tag but eight, that only gets me started on "Hello Sailor".

 
At 15/5/07 12:51 pm, Blogger Jeremy said...

"Ditto, two scenes from ET: When Elliott's bike launches into space, and when Gertie gives ET the geranium."

And when he touches his glowing finger to Elliot's heart with "I'll... be... right... here..." and then the spaceship takes off and...
*weeps*

 
At 15/5/07 4:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam. I know what you mean about pericarditis. So when I feel pressure on my chest, I ask him to support himself on his elbows!

 
At 15/5/07 5:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once drove my (rotary-engined) Mazda through a double brick wall at 80 KPH. I survived; the Mazda didn't, but it did crumple in all the right places... I was avoiding a little old lady in a VW who decided to stop right in front of me in an intersection. (I was on her right.) Interesting experience.

The Mazda was on Wollongong TV News`that night.

BTW: I tagged Adrian...

 
At 15/5/07 8:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mahler songs! Wonderful!
Which - Kindertotenlieder or Das Liede von der Erde?

Your should try Schubert's "Du Bist Die Ruh" or, as I did, the Mahler 2 conducted by St Bernard (Haitink) at last years BBC Proms -Australia's water supply problems would be solved.

RichardB

 
At 15/5/07 9:10 pm, Blogger Sam said...

Symphony No 5, Richard. And thanks for the Schubert tip!

 
At 15/5/07 11:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam
Try Janet Baker, Bryn Terfel or Ian Bostridge for the Schubert.

Any Mahler is wonderful!

FYI and for those interested - at the Proms last year, Ian Bostridge and Simon Keenlyside (love his pecs!) were top of the Pink Parade. Yvegeny Kissen was arrogant(but played a great encore piece), and Lang Lang was OTT (said he who was drooling over the Railing on most nights)

RichardB

 
At 16/5/07 8:57 am, Blogger nash said...

btw, yes I understand the quirky hetero thing (well I know about it, I don't know that I understand it exactly). There are one or two women I'd 'play' with. I have a gay housemate who says he'd turn for Helen Mirren too. I can see your attraction to Natalie Bassingthwaighte, but I'd rather watch you n her screwing than do it (to her) myself

And the thing about the steps is lovely

 
At 17/5/07 8:18 am, Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

Thank you Dear Penguin - I consider "doesn't take themselves too seriously" as a supreme compliment.
If your 8 things are the 'Random' ones, I would be blown away by your 'considered' ones, brave boy.
I will repait to G.A.P and sling off the first things that come into my head.
and PS - it is so good to know about your ancestors. Why were the steps named after Mr McElhone I wonder? *goes away to Google it*

(kiss kiss)

 
At 17/5/07 8:55 am, Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

OMG what a stupid typo above, it should be "I will repair to ..."

OK I am back now from my favourite Australian history site where I put McElhone into the searchbox to discover a whole lot of 1880 MLAs and Lord Mayors of Sydenny etc etc.
YOU should be Lord Mayor of Sydney Mr Penguin. It would be much more fun than it is now. Helen Mirren given the keys to the city etc etc.
XXX Brownie

 
At 17/5/07 10:01 am, Blogger Sam said...

Dunno I'd wanna take on Clover for the position though, brownie. Underneath that choker and lesbionic coiffe beats the well-oiled heart of a ruthless political machine.

And yes, McElhone was quite a formidable local figure for the time - hero if you believe the Irish, bandit if you believe the English. Either way, I think he liked his gin.

 
At 25/5/07 9:27 am, Blogger Claudia said...

I just had a rather delightful image of Clover with you over her knee... Oh dear.

Snaps on the Mahler through, best description i've ever heard was from a lecturer who called the 5th "existentially devestating". So true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home