Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Magnificent Maria

I've got a mental list of women I find so hot/sexy/funny/cute/ all of the above that they could potentially convert me briefly to the Dark Side in one drunken evening of degeneracy.

Beyonce Knowles
Angelina Jolie
Angela Bishop*
Susan Sarandon
Emma Caulfield (Anya from Buffy)
Jill Hennessy
Julie Christie (umm, 35 years ago)

...to name a few.


(*not really.)

After Friday night, I now add Maria Bamford.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This woman is hilariously loopy and so adorable I just want to pop her on a piece of toast and eat her up.

I saw her on Rove for a 2-minute bit and was instantly in awe. Then I caught her Friday night for a one-hour stint at the SOH Studio and cannot remember the last time I laughed so hard. Maria has a very distinctive and somewhat silly natural voice, so the bulk of her routine is her switching into impersonations, but not necessarily of famous people. Voices she did ranged from her mother to her sleazy boss to a talking pocket-sized rabbit. You know these people right away, even if you've never met them.

I hope this is the start of belated superstardom for the 34-year-old. Not since Rita Rudner have I found a female comedian so simultaneously beautiful and funny. Keep an eye out for Maria.

Maria on music: I am very suggestible. Anything I hear 3 times usually becomes a "hit" to me. I find myself- against my will- humming tunes that I am morally opposed to- like - for example- "Hakuna Matada" from the Lion King.

Hee hee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home