Monday, February 28, 2005

Blog Bash

"[The] Blog People (or their subclass who are interested in computers andthe glorification of information) have a fanatical belief in the transforming power of digitization and a consequent horror of, and contempt for, heretics who do not share that belief ... Given the quality of the writing in the blogs I have seen, I doubt that many of the Blog People are in the habit of sustained reading of complex texts. It is entirely possible that their intellectual needs are met by an accumulation of random facts and paragraphs.'"

- American Library Association president Michael Gorman's bid to become the blogging community's next whipping boy.


Meh. He must be reading different bloggers to me. Some of the best, most inspiring writers I've come across are in my links page.

I have a "fanatical belief" in very few things. Penguins. Guylian sea shells. My car one day being operational for longer than 30 consecutive days. Hugh Jackman, Anthony Callea and Ian Thorpe all being gay (and even this is not even fanatical, just firm). Blogging I just enjoy. And people who disagree with me are not heretics, they're just wrong*.

Point taken about complex texts, though. I will go back and finish Machiavelli's Prince. Honest.

Is it standard blogging protocol to ignore statements like this, ie not fulfill their wish to become the next blogger whipping boy? If so, disregard the italic bit. Ooops.





*I'm kidding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home